Saturday, February 21, 2009

Why "Pilgrim Days?"

Since losing Knox, we realize all the more that this earth is not our home, but we look forward to heaven with our savior and being reunited with those who have gone before us. More and more we have been thinking of this life as a pilgrimage, a journey of joy and sorrow, focusing on the Kingdom, and setting our sights on the things above. We pray our children continue our journey and glorify God in ways we could only begin.

Here are two of our favorite songs that speak of the "pilgrim days":

Jesus, I My Cross Have Taken

1. Jesus, I my cross have taken,All to leave and follow Thee.Destitute, despised, forsaken,Thou from hence my all shall be.Perish every fond ambition,All I’ve sought or hoped or known.Yet how rich is my condition!God and heaven are still my own.

2. Let the world despise and leave me,They have left my Savior, too.Human hearts and looks deceive me;Thou art not, like them, untrue.O while Thou dost smile upon me,God of wisdom, love, and might,Foes may hate and friends disown me,Show Thy face and all is bright.

3. Man may trouble and distress me,’Twill but drive me to Thy breast.Life with trials hard may press me;Heaven will bring me sweeter rest.Oh, ’tis not in grief to harm meWhile Thy love is left to me;Oh, ’twere not in joy to charm me,Were that joy unmixed with Thee.

4. Go, then, earthly fame and treasure,Come disaster, scorn and painIn Thy service, pain is pleasure,With Thy favor, loss is gainI have called Thee Abba Father,I have stayed my heart on TheeStorms may howl, and clouds may gather;All must work for good to me.

5. Soul, then know thy full salvationRise o’er sin and fear and care Joy to find in every station,Something still to do or bear.Think what Spirit dwells within thee,Think what Father’s smiles are thine,Think that Jesus died to win thee,Child of heaven, canst thou repine.

6. Haste thee on from grace to glory,Armed by faith, and winged by prayer.Heaven’s eternal days before thee,God’s own hand shall guide us there.Soon shall close thy earthly mission,Soon shall pass thy pilgrim days,Hope shall change to glad fruition,Faith to sight, and prayer to praise.
© 2001 Bill Moore Music.

I Heard the Voice of Jesus Say

1. I heard the voice of Jesus say,“Come unto Me and rest;Lay down, O weary one lay down,Your head upon My breast.”I came to Jesus as I was,So weary, worn and sad;I found in Him my resting place,And He has made me glad.

2. I heard the voice of Jesus say,“Behold I freely giveThe living water; thirsty one,Stoop down and drink, and live.”I came to Jesus, and I drankFrom that life-giving streamMy thirst was quenched, my soul revived,And now I live in Him.

3. I heard the voice of Jesus say,“I am this dark world’s light;Look unto Me, thy morn shall rise,And all thy days be bright.”I looked to Jesus, and I foundIn Him my star, my sun;And in that light of life I’ll walk ’Til pilgrim days are done.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the new blog look! Can't wait to check out the CD.

the other Rachel