Friday, October 23, 2009

Two Thumbs Up

I heartily agree with this as quoted below:

Dear Young Facebook Friends,

You have requested me to be your friend on facebook. I was reluctant to accept, but took the advice of my husband who said that it would be a good way to know what is going on in your lives and to be an encouragement to you. What I have seen has left me confused, sad, and frankly disappointed. I see where you say you love God and the Bible is important to you, and I don’t doubt that; I really don’t. Perhaps that makes me even more sad. I wonder how certain aspects of training have fallen through the cracks. I wonder where we have failed in training your parents so that they can adequately train you. Are you wondering what I am talking about?

I am talking about the manner in which you portray yourself on facebook. The unwholesome talk that comes from your fingertips; the OMG(taking the Lord’s name in vain); the careless words and chatter that you don’t stop to think about how it is perceived; even calling people “suckers” and telling them “they suck.” You may say these things in jest but it doesn’t’ change the words, the meanings, or the degradation of your character.

Then there are the pictures you post. Besides the fact you portray yourself as a narcissist when you post picture after picture of yourself in pose after pose, there are the poses themselves. To be blunt, you might as well “pimp yourself out.” I am not sure what the motivation is in posing in a sexual manner, angling the camera so we can see down your shirt, wearing shorts so short that it looks like you have none on. You fondle poles, you pose as if kissing or licking other girls, and pose like gang members. It makes me wonder just what sort of boys you are hoping to attract with your pictures because I am pretty certain it won’t be the Godly young man that is being raised to be a man, husband, and father.

With a burdened heart , I exhort you to please think about the kind of person you want to be, how you want to be seen, and most importantly how you can glorify God in the comments and pictures you post on facebook. Take some time to reflect on “Finally Brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, let your mind dwell on these things. The things you have learned and received and heard and seen in me, practice these things; and the God of peace shall be with you. “ Philippians 4:8,9

5 comments:

Dawn said...

Praying the Lord uses this in the hearts of dear young people. Thank you for your love for them and being faithful to exhort them in the Lord.

Dawn
HK

Anonymous said...

Oh how that resonates with me! So well said.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Thank you for saying what those of us in public education aren't allowed to.

Anonymous said...

Yes, My daughter's ballet school has a requirement as a Christian school that the members of their ensembles portray themselves as ambassadors for Christ in places like MySpace and Facebook. My girls aren't on-line, but I appreciate their stance in our culture!

Unknown said...

Recently my children posed for a picture with their cousins... I have very funny pictures of the cousins posing "gangsta" and my kids watching them... puzzled looks on their faces. LOL I said to my sister, "we don't have gangsters in my neighborhood, they have no idea what your children are doing." It was funny... but sad... because they are supposed to be a godly family. I agree with this post... thank you for sharing it.